Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Three Karmic Short Stories

had taken his life in a nearby park. I remember being confused. I told them he was in his room. He’d be up in an hour or two, growling about the wrong type of cereal, then he’d disappear again until either a lecture or meeting friends dragged him from the house.

Scott Norton. Three Karmic Short Stories (Kindle Locations 25-28). Scott Norton.
Three Karmic Short Stories by Scott Norton remind me of my own battles with suicidal ideal and suicidal attempts. It is powerfully written, a book you will want to read more than once. My own struggle with suicide, a struggle that has lasted for 29 years, is not something I offer up lightly for my readers to read about. It’s one of those taboo things we, the survivors, are not supposed to talk about. Scott Norman talks about suicide. In plain language, in the language that suicide happens. Unfortunately my poets, we do not die poetic martyrs for whatever reason we’ve chosen to end our lives. We chose a very ordinary day, an ordinary day to others. Whether or not it seems a poetic day to us. The wind was just right; there was just enough alphaphets in our cereal that we could spell out our motive. Having survived numerous suicide attempts, I know there is nothing poetic about our choice of self martyrdom. So does Scott Norton. Read his book. It will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment